- EIT Food | Queen’s University Belfast | Universita Degli Studi Di Torino via FutureLearn
- Learn for FREE, Up-gradable
- Length: 4 Weeks
- Effort: 3 hours per week
- 10,859+ already enrolled!
- ★★★★★ (26 Ratings)
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Language: English
Understand how food goes from farm to fork: explore food security, supply chains, food production and agriculture.
How does food reach our plates? How is the food industry changing? What threats are there to food supply chains? How can we build a sustainable food industry?
Get answers to these questions and more with this course that explores food and agriculture in the modern world.
You will learn about the complexity of the global food supply chain, the vulnerability of the food industry to emerging threats and the solutions to stopping these threats early.
You will also consider the issues surrounding production of food of animal origin.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Discuss the interconnected one health approach to food production from farm to fork
- Illustrate knowledge and skills required to evaluate current and emerging risks to food safety and relate these to potential threats to human/animal health and global food security highlighting solutions to the issues
- Demonstrate the ability to critically assess the range of emerging risks that may be introduced during food production and manufacture systems and determine their potential impact on food safety and consumer health
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the range and types of food insecurity affecting food safety, traceability and authenticity, and the regulatory requirements and challenges to the maintenance of food quality/safety
- Examine the ethical & bioethical constraints of the food chain: at the crossroads of objects, subjects, regulations, institutions & governments
- Encourage pursuit of a career in research, industry or entrepreneurship related to the food industry sector by showcasing the rising star companies.
Who is the course for?
This course is for people looking for an introduction to food supply chains and the future of agriculture – it’s ideal for students and young people looking to learn more about careers in the food industry.
The Educators won’t be able to join the discussions themselves or respond to individual comments, but the course encourages a strong learning community. The learning is focused around debate and discussion – supporting other learners, sharing your own experience and knowledge, and listening to new perspectives. We hope that you will enjoy interacting with and learning from each other in this way. Don’t forget to comment, reply to other learners and ‘like’ comments.
Week 1: Water, Soil and Plant Health
Week 2: Animal Health and Welfare
Week 3: Food Safety and Human Health
Week 4: Climate Change and Food Security
More Related Courses:
- EIT Food | Universita Degli Studi Di Torino via FutureLearn
- 4 Weeks (3 hours weekly) of effort required
- 13,789+ already enrolled!
- ★★★★★ (93 Ratings)
- EIT Food | Queen’s University Belfast via FutureLearn
- 5 Weeks (4 hours weekly) of effort required
- 1,144+ already enrolled!
- ★★★★☆ (5 Ratings)
- EIT Food | University of Reading via FutureLearn
- 3 Weeks (3 hours weekly) of effort required
- 3,181+ already enrolled!
- ★★★★★ (44 Ratings)
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.