- University of Michigan via Coursera
- Learn for FREE, Up-gradable
- 16 hours of effort required
- 752,213 already enrolled!
- 4.8 ★★★★★ (8,497 Ratings)
- Skill Level: Mixed
- Language: English
I hope that you will join the hundreds of thousands of learners who have made “Successful Negotiation” one of the most popular and highly-rated MOOCs worldwide. In the course, you’ll learn about and practice the four steps to a successful negotiation:
(1) Prepare: Plan Your Negotiation Strategy
(2) Negotiate: Use Key Tactics for Success
(3) Close: Create a Contract
(4) Perform and Evaluate: The End Game
To successfully complete this course and improve your ability to negotiate, you’ll need to do the following:
(1) Watch the short videos (ranging from 5 to 20 minutes). The videos are interactive and they include questions to test your understanding of negotiation strategy and skills. You can speed up or slow down videos to match your preferred pace for listening. Depending on your schedule, you can watch the videos over a few weeks or you can binge watch them. A learner who binge-watched the course concluded that “It’s as good as Breaking Bad.” Another learner compared the course to “House of Cards.” Both shows contain interesting examples of complex negotiations!
(2) Test your negotiation skills by completing the negotiation in Module 6. You can negotiate with a local friend or use Discussions to find a partner from another part of the world. Your negotiation partner will give you feedback on your negotiation skills. To assist you with your negotiations, I have developed several free negotiating planning tools that are related to the course. These tools and a free app are available at http://negotiationplanner.com/
(3) Take the final exam. To successfully complete the course, you must answer 80% of the questions correctly. The exam is a Mastery Exam, which means that you can take it as many times as you want until you master the material.
WEEK 1: Welcome to Successful Negotiation!
Through this course you’ll learn and practice the strategies and skills that will help you become a successful negotiator in your personal life and business transactions. After completing this module, you’ll be able to state the four key stages of negotiation and what you need to do successfully complete this course.
WEEK 2: Prepare: Plan Your Negotiation Strategy
This module focuses on the first step in the negotiation process – planning for a negotiation. One critical component you’ll learn is how to complete a negotiation analysis to set you up for success.
WEEK 3: Negotiate: Use Key Tactics for Success
This module focuses on two especially important topics: (1) how to use power during negotiations and (2) psychological tools that you can use during negotiations. Keep a paper and pencil handy, as you’ll be participating in several experiments as watch these videos!
WEEK 4: Close: Create a Contract
This module focuses on the negotiation that takes place in a business deal after reaching an initial agreement – the negotiation to create a binding contract. Among other things, you’ll learn to decide if you need a lawyer or can act as your own for contract creation. However, the videos should not be construed as providing legal advice.
WEEK 5: Perform and Evaluate: The End Game
This module focuses on performing and evaluating your agreement. If both parties perform as expected, there is no problem. But if they fail to perform, the dispute resolution processes that we cover in this module is important – especially mediation and arbitration.
WEEK 6: Practice Your Negotiation Skills
Put your newly developed skills to the test in this module with a friend or fellow MOOC participant from another part of the world!
WEEK 7: Final Examination
Once you have successfully completed the Final Exam, you will have successfully completed the course! The estimated time to complete the examination is 75 minutes. You can retake the examination until you are confident that you understand these concepts.
More Related Courses:
Project Management: The Basics for Success
The University of California, Irvine via Coursera
7 hours of effort required
242,514+ already enrolled!
★★★★★ (6,180 Ratings)
Fundamentals of Project Planning and Management
University of Virginia via Coursera
8 hours of effort required
98,910+ already enrolled!
★★★★★ (2,929 Ratings)
Project Management Life Cycle
Rochester Institute of Technology via edx
120 hours of effort required
113,478+ already enrolled!
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.