- Jonas De Ro via SkillShare
- Learn for FREE, Up-gradable
- 14,400+ already enrolled!
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Language: English
Digitally paint a fantasy landscape in Photoshop
Introduction and Ideations
- Collect References & Textures
Before you start painting please take your time to collect as many landscape references, mood and color references and photo textures as needed.
Please see the additional resources for a link to a free HQ texture website. References can be found on Google or Flickr.
Sketching and Applying Fundamentals
- Sketch & Explore
Don’t rush through this part of the creation process! Even though the sketches can be rough and simple, they must work in terms of composition and values before you move on to the detailing phase. This will ensure the best final results and overal read.
Please see the additional resources for a download link to my free brushes, you can use, change and redistribute them any way you like!
Detailing and Finalizing the Image
- Detail & Polish Your Painting
Please repeat the explained step alternating brush detailing, blending phototextures and applying lighting effects as explained in the video.
Do it as long as you desire until you are happy with the level of detail! I recommend to save different version of your work during this phase, in case you end up being happier with a previous version.
About This Class
The great landscapes in game design and concept art are precise, fantastic and surreal, they are created by diligent, efficient digital painting techniques in Photoshop. . . and in this class, you’ll learn them! You will learn a step-by-step approach to painting a concept fantasy landscape, covering every part of the process from sketching in Photoshop to the final piece.
You will learn to see space like an artist, conceptualizing the translation from our real world to the two dimensional.
What You’ll Learn
- References. Where do you find ideas and inspiration? What should you research? Why is it important to get different kinds of references?
- Initial Sketch. You’ll learn how to sketch efficiently in Photoshop, considering composition.
- Values. We’ll explore communicating value in space within your digital painting.
- Composition Editing. Recreate the final compositions and split volumes into layers. Learn why using solids is important and why we keep edge information.
- Color. We’ll add color and discuss basic hues & tones.
- Brush Detailing. We’ll start our polishing phase by hand-painting details using Photoshop brushes.
- Texturing. You will learn how to apply photo texturing to your workflow and how it can help the detailing phase.
- Lighting & Effects. We will add final touches by adding cinematic lighting and some small effects and polishes.
What You’ll Do
You will efficiently utilize techniques in Photoshop and apply them to create your own unique digital painting of an environment. You will experiment with light sources and rendering, color choices and depth. Rather than mimicking work, you will be empowered to create your own concept. You’ll end up with a final piece of digitally painted artwork!
- Deliverable. You’ll create a digital painting of a fantasy landscape in Photoshop.
- Brief. You’ll use references to create a 2-dimensional sketch in Photoshop. Your composition will be treated with values to create three dimensions. Colors and textures will be added with acute brush detailing. Finally, you’ll add lighting and effects to your composition to create a cinematic effect.
- Collaboration. As you go through the class, update your project and share your progress with your fellow students. Ask your peers for their perspective on your composition. Give each other critical feedback.
- Specs. By the end of this class, you will have artistic rendition of a fantasy landscape, painted in Photoshop.
An understanding of illustration fundamentals, a clear and focused process, and varied technical knowledge are crucial to being a successful digital painter. This course will not only teach you how to paint in Photoshop, but also how to see with an artist’s eye and translate that vision to your work.
More Related Courses:
- Alberta University via FutureLearn
- 2 Weeks long, 3 Hours per week
- Level: Introductory
- Camilla D’Errico via SkillShare
- 8,030 already enrolled!
- 77 Projects included
- ★★★★★ (378 Ratings)
- Hardy Fowler via Udemy
- 6,859 already enrolled!
- ★★★★★ (1,242 Ratings)
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.