Is there a demand of software engineers, asks everyone? Well, there is a big yes to this question and anyone who is about to become a software engineer or already is needs to read this article. It is because here, we are going to talk about the software engineer jobs market trends in detail. You mights be also interested in Best NPTEL Online Courses for Computer Science.
- Harvard University via edX
- 9 Problem Sets, 1 Final Project
- 2,691,747+ students enrolled
- 12 weeks of effort required
Demand for Software Engineers/Developers:
The following statistics are going to help you understand the demand for software developers generally and especially in the United States of America.
- According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the demand for software developers is projected to grow by 22% by the year 2029. So that is why it is important that developers must continue to learn new programming languages and keep their pace with the latest tech trends to remain to the cutting edge.
- The BLS also stated that the demand for just app developers will increase by 26% by 2029 with almost 316,000 new jobs being added in the market in the coming years.
- The “best job in America” by US News and World Report stated that, a skilled software developer can expect to earn higher than average salaries and also afford to be very selective about the companies they work for. In short, they are in so much demand that they get to choose the company they want to work for.
- Similarly, according to hired 2020 State of Software Engineering report () the demand of AR/VR talent is 1400% higher than it was one year ago. With that, the blockchain demand has managed to grow by 517% during the same period.
- The same report also revealed that demand for front and back-end engineers across all the major industries rose by 17%. To put into simpler words, the demand for software developers is not just coming from Big Tech but telecoms, financial services, and retailers are also scooping up the talent.
- Similarly, the Hired report stated that the average salaries for any top engineering jumped by 13% in London. Furthermore, it was 7% in NYC. Then, 6% in San Francisco, and lastly 7% in NYC in the year 2019.
- Next, the coding San’s 2020 State of Software Development showed that 22% of the organizations claim that increasing development capacity is their top challenge. Whereas 14% say that they are hiring the right talent.
Number of Software Engineers/Developers in the World:
This above graph shows the number of software developers in different years.
This below table shows the number of software developers in the entire world in different years.
|Years||Number of software developers|
Want to Earn Higher Salary? Become a Software Engineers/Developers:
Below are some of the statistics or figures that will give you an idea about how well a software developer can earn.
- According to the BLS report, it was found out that the software developers in the year 2019 earned a median income of $107,510. Among this figure, top 25% of earners brought home an average income of $130,460. Whereas, the bottom 25% were getting an average salary of $79,340 the same year. This shows that whether you are at a high rank or a mediocre one, the salary you’ll earn as a software developer would be high enough.
- On average, the software system developers who work in California earn the most money. Where their annual mean salary is stated to be $131,700. This figure is over $15,000 greater than the US average. With that No. 2 is Nevada where much more significant growth in wages over the years was witnessed compared to California. Similarly, form 2013 to 2018, the salaries of California software systems developer grew by an average of 2% per year. Whereas in Nevada, the annual growth was 8.8% per year.
- According to the US News and World Report, all those workers who are based in the following areas of the US tend to earn more on average as compared to the other parts of the US.
- New York.
- Washington DC.
- Similarly, the BLS’s Occupational Employment Statistics stated that the mean annual wage for software developers of applications is somewhat around $ 108,080. On the other hand, it is $114,000 for system software developer which you can see is a little higher.
Average Salaries of Software Engineer in different Countries:
Below are the average salaries of software engineers in different countries. Here you can easily see that the pay scale for a software engineer in each country is different.
|Unite States of America||$110,608|
Number of Software Engineers in Different Countries:
According to Evans Data Corporation, we found out that, in 2019, there were 26.4 million software developers in the world. This number will grow to 27.7 million in 2023 and in 2024 it will grow to 28.7 million. With that, the United States of American is taking the lead position by the number of software developer as it is 4.2 million. Above we have talked about the countries and the salary of the software engineers in that particular country. Now, we are going to talk about the number of software engineers in different countries.
- The United States of America has an estimate of 831,300 software engineers.
- Similarly, there are 849 thousand programmers and software development professionals in the UK.
- 121,300 workers are employed as software engineers in Australia.
- Then, in Netherlands, there are 320,900 software engineers.
- Similarly, there are 901,000 software engineers in Germany.
- And in India, there are approximately 2.75 million software engineers.
- Michigan University via Coursera
- 96 hours of effort required
- 2,083,870+ already enrolled!
- ★★★★★ (318,541 Ratings)
- Princeton University via Coursera
- 88 hours of effort required
- 86,961+ already enrolled!
- ★★★★★ (429 ratings)
- Praveen Mittal via Coursera
- 46,840 already enrolled!
- ★★★★★ (2,438 Ratings)
Through this article you can easily find out how much a software engineer can earn in the US and other countries and its job market trends. So, read this article today and know all about the software engineer jobs market trends and never stop learning.