- Who is a DevOps Engineer?
Who is a DevOps Engineer?
A DevOps engineer is known to be a highly competitive IT professional who usually works with software developers, system operators, production IT staff and oversee different code releases and deployments. This role especially calls for someone who has related hard and soft skills, and the ability to overcome all kinds of traditional barriers between development and operations.
To explain further, a DevOps engineer has to balance out everything in the entire software development life cycle. This includes maintenance, updates, deployment, coding, and related. He acts as a liaison between all the departments that are contributing to software development and maintenance.
Related: You might also be interested in Best (Free/Paid) DevOps Training Courses at takethiscourse platform.
Key Responsibilities of DevOps Engineer
DevOps engineers have to complete a lot of tasks on daily basis and the amount of workload depends on the type of organization they work for. Not all organizations have same responsibilities for a DevOps engineer. Organizations want code features to be taken to production seamlessly without issues.
Below we have listed down some of their important and common key responsibilities that you should know of;
- Release engineering is considered to be a key responsivity of a DevOps engineer. He’ll build and deploy code changes effectively without any issue.
- Write and maintain build as well as deploy scripts.
- Automate CI(Continuous Integration) / CD(Continuous Deployment) pipeline.
- DevOps Engineers also engaged in system administration like deployment and maintenance of server and network resources for smooth hosting of applications. It also depends that their organization is hosting on-premises or taking cloud services.
- Develop a detailed plan for carrying out the set goals across departments.
- Review software scripts and look for different ways to improve automation.
- Update permissions and make sure that the server information is backed up regularly.
- To become a DevOps engineer, you would normally require a Bachelor’s degree in either computer science or computer engineering.
- With that, a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering will also fulfill the requirement.
- Google Cloud via Coursera
- 24,648+ students enrolled
- ★★★★★ (1,921 Ratings)
What makes you qualified for this job?
If you wish to become a DevOps engineer and do this job really well, then there are some technical and general skills you need to possess. Note that the technical skills required by a DevOps engineer greatly depend on the team structure, technologies, and the toolsets being used by a certain organization.
- In-depth understanding of CI/CD pipeline automation.
- Sound knowledge of different CI/CD tools to automate testing/deployment.
- Experience with CI/CD related tools like Jenkins, Git, SonarQube, Puppet, Ansible or Chef etc.
- Knowledge of a couple of languages including Java, Python, Ruby, Node.js, PHP etc.
- Able to write build/deployment scripts.
- Experience with cloud technologies like AWS or google cloud if deployment is not on-premise.
- A good understanding of the agile methodology and industry standards.
- Understanding of system administration and application hosting.
- A DevOps engineer must be observant in his area of work.
- Similarly, a good understanding of the software development lifestyle from multiple perspectives is required.
- Exceptional professional and leadership skills are good for growth.
- The Linux Foundation via edX
- 7 Weeks (2-3 hours Weekly) of effort required!
- Course Type: Self Paced
- Microsoft Certified: DevOps Engineer Expert
- Professional Cloud DevOps Engineer
- AWS Certified DevOps Engineer Professional Exam
Top Companies/Organizations Hiring DevOps Engineers
DevOps is no doubt a great career in 2023 and beyond. So if you think you have interest in the crossover between development and operations then yes it could be a Ken-Thompson-level field for you.
Big companies like Deloitte, Amazon, IBM, Cognizant Technology Solutions, and Comcast etc. have huge demand of DevOps Engineers.
Being a DevOps engineer, you can work in sectors like banking, insurance, healthcare, hospitality, inventory management and many others.
DevOps Engineer Salary Statistics
In this section, we shall take a look at the annual salary statistics of DevOps engineers working in different major countries. These figures will give readers a good idea of how much DevOps engineers working in different countries are earning.
|Country||Average Salary (Yearly)|
A DevOps engineer working in the US can make around $118,487 annually.
If you are a DevOps engineer working in Canada then you can expect to earn around CA$95,752.
In England, a DevOps engineer can easily make around £50,796 per year.
The average annual salary of a DevOps engineer working in India is around ₹800,000.
A DevOps engineer working in Australia is expected to make an average annual salary of A$111,000.
- Please note that published salary stats are as of 07th June, 2022.