- Who is a Scrum Master?
- Key Job Responsibilities of a Scrum Master
- Required Qualification/Education
- What makes you qualified for this job?
- Top Companies/Organizations Hiring Scrum Master
- Scrum Master Salary Statistics
Who is a Scrum Master?
A Scrum Master is an individual or more like a professional who acts as a facilitator for the scrum team. He makes sure that scrum values and practices are implemented properly. He has to facilitate all the communication and collaboration between the team and all other stakeholders, and make sure that a successful outcome is achieved.
Scrum is an agile project management framework that allows the team to communicate, self-manage, and make changes quickly and as per Agile principles. A Scrum Master thus act as a servant leader and makes sure his entire team is abiding by the scrum rules and working towards a common goal.
In this article, you will find all the details regarding a Scrum Master, what are the key responsibilities and skills required, and other relevant details.
Key Job Responsibilities of a Scrum Master
A Scrum Master usually has to;
- Facilitate the entire scrum team and protect them from outside disruptions.
- Help the scrum team achieve higher levels of scrum maturity.
- Facilitate open discussion and resolve conflicts (if any).
- Coach the team to be self-organized.
- Helps and facilitates in organizing all the scrum events.
- Remove all kinds of impediments and coach the scrum team on how they can remove impediments.
- Assist the scrum team in identifying and filling the blanks in the scrum implementation.
- Support the product owner and provide facilitation wherever required like helping in maintaining the product backlog.
Note: The key responsibilities mentioned above are not just it, as different companies have different requirements and the responsibilities depend on the requirements of the company but it must be as per scrum values.
- The majority of the companies always prefer candidates who have at least a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, IT, business administration, or a relevant field.
- With that, on-the-job experience also matters.
- If you manage to earn a Master’s degree in the relevant field, the chances of getting a decent job increase too.
Relevant In-demand Certifications:
To enhance your career, there are complete Scrum Master certification tracks offered by both Scrum Alliance and Scrum(dot)org. Although there are other provider’s certifications available in the market but these two are most valuable and desirable by employers world-wide. Earning even one of these would help you succeed greatly in this field.
What makes you qualified for this job?
Whether you are a beginner-level Scrum Master working in an organization or a professional who has a stable career, there are some skills required that empower you to lead your team and do the best of your ability.
Below we have mentioned both hard and soft skills that can help you do your best at the workplace.
- Deep know-how of agile project management methodology is important as it ensures your team is following a specific process to complete and release projects.
- With that, software development and management skills are also important to possess as it helps you set goals and structure which are important while working on software projects and products.
- Next, business analysis skills are very important to possess as it allows a Scrum Master to focus on how you can improve continuously and meet the requirements of the customer, stakeholder, and the company as well.
- A Scrum Master should also know how to use the project management tracking tool in the best possible manner.
- Excellent problem-solving skills play an important part in helping you navigate complex projects.
- Good organization skills can help you manage multiple tasks at the same time and take care of meetings, resources, and priorities.
- Similarly, the ability to make necessary changes and achieve the best possible outcome is also important.
- Good communication skills result in working efficiently with team members and stakeholders.
- Lastly, excellent motivational skills are required as it allows you to bring out the best in your team and thus improve productivity.
Top Companies/Organizations Hiring Scrum Masters
Top companies like Google, Airbnb, Apple, Adobe, Facebook, Spotify, Yahoo, etc are the ones to hire Scrum Masters, and that too on a good pay scale.
Scrum Masters can easily work in different industries like insurance, investment firms, heavy industry, light manufacturing, construction, disruptors, consulting firms, Government offices, advertising, marketing, etc.
Therefore, if you are working as a Scrum Master anywhere in the world then know that you are doing one of the hottest jobs around. According to LinkedIn, Scrum Master has been ranked in the top 10 for being one of the most promising jobs in the year 2019. And this demand only grew in upcoming years and tends to grow in the future as well. In short, we can say Scrum Master Jobs are readily available anywhere no matter where you are. Thus it can be considered a great career option to choose.
Scrum Master Salary Statistics
Now we shall take a look at how much a Scrum Master can earn working in different major countries.
|Country||Average Salary (Yearly)|
The average annual salary of a Scrum Master working in the United States is around $116,814.
In Canada, working in a company as a Scrum Master can help you make an average annual salary of CA$99,992.
Working as a Scrum Master in the United Kingdom can help you earn an average annual salary of £60,618.
The average annual salary of a Scrum Master working in India is around ₹1,500,000.
If you are working in Australia as a Scrum Master, then you can expect to earn an average annual salary of A$134,450.
- Please note that mentioned salary stats are as of May, 2023.