- What is UX Design?
- Who is a UX Designer?
What is UX Design?
UX design is something that focuses on explaining the interaction between real human users and the everyday product and services used by us humans. This includes websites, apps, and even the coffee machines we use to get our coffee. UX design is an extremely varied discipline and it combines the aspects of psychology, business, market research, technology, and design.
Who is a UX Designer?
User experience (UX) Designers are such people who have to work to optimize the interaction between humans and products. UX is a relationship between a product and a person using it. So it is the job of a UX designer to support the user’s needs and at the same time make sure to not distract them from the overall experience of the product.
This article is all about understanding who a UX designer is, what are the key responsibilities and other things relevant to this career.
Related: You can also check out the best online UX Design courses at takethiscourse platform.
Key Responsibilities of UX Designer:
- Conduct User Research: A UX designer has to plan and conduct user research and do a detailed competitor analysis.
- Interpret Data: He has to interpret data and then provide qualitative feedback.
- Create User Stories: He not only has to create user stories but also create personas and storyboards.
- Create Sitemaps: Another task a UX designer has to do is to create sitemaps and determine information architecture.
- Create Prototypes: Similarly, a UX designer has to create wireframes and prototypes in the best possible manner.
- Create a Joyful End Result: He has to work effectively with branding, navigation, and product functions and make sure to create a joyful end result.
- Looks After the Entire Customer Lifecycle: A UX designer not only takes care of the product experience and product lifecycle but he is also a key player in the entire customer lifecycle.
Becoming a UX designer mostly requires you to have at least a bachelor’s degree in a technology-related area. You must earn a degree that deals with websites, applications, and other programs that demand usability testing.
With that, typical minors for UX designers include the following subject areas;
- Human-computer interaction
- University of Michigan via Coursera
- 9 months (2 hours weekly) of effort required
- 37,733+ students enrolled
- ★★★★★ (1,478 Ratings)
What makes you qualified for this job?
Do you want to learn that how to become a competitive UX designer or which skills are required to qualify for this job? Below we have listed in detail the skills employers demand while hiring a UX designer.
- Must have a user-centric mindset.
- A good knowledge of the industry tools like Sketch, Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Zeplin, InVision, and OmniGraffle is preferred.
- Similarly, you must have good communication skills.
- You must be collaborative and promote teamwork.
- Project management skills are a must.
- Understanding business metrics is also required.
- Moreover, a good understanding of interaction design principles will be preferred.
- You must know how to manage time and meet all the deadlines meticulously.
- Must have the know-how of both creative and analytical approaches.
General Desired Skills:
- You must be self-motivated and have the ability to motivate others.
- Good attention to detail is required.
- Ability to not panic and solve problems effectively.
- Lastly, adaptability is very important.
- Google via Coursera
- 173,021+ already enrolled!
- ★★★★★ (9,474 Ratings)
- CalArts via Coursera
- 102,212+ already enrolled!
- ★★★★★ (4,988 Ratings)
Even though UX design is a great career choice and one can flourish in this field. But if you want to go even further in this field and have an exceptional position then earning a UX certification can help you with that. Below we have listed some important certifications for you to choose from.
- Certified User Experience Analyst (CXA) certification
- Nielsen Norman Group UX Certification
- Human Factors International CXA Certification
Benefits of Getting a UX Certification:
Becoming a UX certified would help you in the following;
- You would be able to build essential UX skills.
- You can develop a great portfolio for yourself.
- You can gain sufficient experience in this industry.
- You can also validate your skills to potential employers.
Many companies demand a certified UX designer which means if you are a certified UX designer then the chances of getting a job is much higher than those who are not certified. You might also be interested in best 6 qualities of UI/UX designers.
UX Designer Vs UI Designer:
UX designer and UI designer are two terms that are used interchangeably, but the truth is that they both mean very different things and the below explanation can help you understand the difference between the two.
UX design is User experience design whereas UI design is User interface design. Now both elements are without any doubt crucial to a product and work together yet the role themselves are quite different from one another.
UX design is solely focused on anything that affects the user’s journey to solve a particular problem both on-screen and off-screen. Whereas UI design is focused on how the product’s surfaces will look and function.
Top Companies/Organizations Hiring UX Designer
No one can deny the involvement of a UX designer at so many stages of a project life cycle right? And that is why we believe it is one of the most in-demand positions in technology having 87% of the hiring managers agreeing to the fact that hiring UX designers is their top priority.
Companies like Google, Microsoft, Cisco Systems, and Intel etc. are hiring UX designers at a very handsome pay scale.
Industries like big data, manufacturing, travel, e-Learning, HR, and government sites etc. are using UX designer’s services to a great extent.
UX Designer Salary Statistics
|Country||Average Salary (Yearly)|
Working as a UX designer in USA can help you earn an average annual salary of $92,250.
If you are working as a UX designer in Canada then you can expect to make an average salary of CA$83,984 per year.
In England, UX designers can make around £48,755 per annum.
Working as a UX designer in India will allow you to earn around ₹1M annually.
If you are working as a UX designer in Australia then you can earn around A$95,000 per year.
UX design can be a very rewarding and life-changing career for those who truly are interested in this field. But it demands dedication and a lot of work and some skills on your side as well. Therefore, put in all your effort to become the best UX designer and never stop learning.