- What is a Voice Over Artist?
- Key Job Responsibilities of Voice Over Artist
- Required Qualification/Education
- What makes you qualified for this job?
- Top Companies/Organizations Hiring Voice Over Artist
- Voice Over Artist Salary Statistics
Who is a Voice Over Artist?
A voice-over artist is known to be an individual who uses his voice on different platforms including radio, theater, television, films, animated cartoons, movies, presentations, etc. Voice over artists also use their voices in a dialogue that is between characters in a scripted radio play. They are often referred to as off-stage or off-camera narrators as their voice is just used and they stay off the screen.
These individuals are famous for their exceptional talent regarding their vocal abilities. And they tend to make the audience understand the character just by modulating their voice. Skills are required to use their voice to play versatile characters and express happy, sad, excited, or angry feelings. In short, voice over artists have to bring visual art to life. To become a voice-over artist, follow here for best courses at takethiscourse platform.
In this article, we are going to talk about what a voice over artist is and all the relevant and important information like key responsibilities, education, skills required, and whatnot.
Key Responsibilities of Voice Over Artist
A voice over artist also has a lot of key responsibilities to fulfill and below we have mentioned some of these;
- Speak clearly along with a pleasing voice.
- Have the skills required to read a script and record and create an audio.
- Attend all the rehearsals along with the rest of the cast.
- Work very closely with the director.
- Entertain the audience vocally.
- Use different accents to fulfill different roles.
- Must remain on call for quick assignments.
- Understand how to use all the relevant technical equipment.
- Stay active on the field all the time and show consistent work.
- To become a voice over artist, there is no formal education required. Instead, anyone who has a great voice or the ability to speak in different accents can become one. But yes if you do have a Bachelor’s degree or training in acting then it will be an asset to enter this field. Otherwise, your determination to become a voice over artist is enough to enter this field.
- Peter Baker via Udemy
- 13,062+ already enrolled!
- 4.6 ★★★★★ (2,199 Ratings)
- Mark Simon via LinkedIn
- 128,936+ already enrolled!
- 4.5 ★★★★★ (158 Ratings)
- Mary Ingrassia via SkillShare
- 2,454+ already enrolled!
- Study Level: Beginner
What makes you qualified for this job?
What makes you stand tall in the crowd or make others see your work are the skills you possess and how you use them at your workplace. Voice over may not require a proper degree but possessing different hard and soft skills can for sure help you become better than others and succeed in this career. Below we have listed down some of the most relevant and effective hard and soft skills that should be kept in mind all the time.
- Technical knowledge of all the equipment is required whether they are common or advanced. As a voice over artist when you are recording your voice at a studio, there might come a point where you would have to use some advanced equipment as well. If you don’t know how to use them then it can put a negative impact on your directors. And that is why we suggest having a complete understanding of all technical equipment.
- The ability to promote yourself is very important. If you are confident enough and have a good accent and the ability to talk confidently then you can market yourself easily in person. Similarly, promoting yourself online and through social media is also very important. And all this can be done only when you are confident enough.
- Similarly, you should have the ability to grasp clear and precise instructions and retain natural articulation no matter the type and content of the sound recording.
- Lastly, you should have the ability to modulate your tone and personality and match it with the characteristics of the role you are playing.
- Having the ability to read out loud from a script and then convey both tone and emotion through voice.
- Ability to speak in a pleasant voice while recording is also important.
- You should also know how to change your tone and accent according to the role you are being given. Versatility is very important.
- From vocal quality to timing and availability, you should be very consistent all the time.
- Lastly, it is your job to judge the pacing of your voice while delivering the desired message.
Top Companies/Organizations Hiring Voice Over Artists
Voice over is quite a fun-filled and exciting career and due to advancements in digital recording capabilities, the demand for voice-over artists has also grown in considerable proportions.
Companies like Filmless, Bodalgo, Voices.com, Voice crafters, Voice123, Bunny Inc, Envato, etc are hiring voice over artists at handsome salary packages.
Similarly, in industries like media and entertainment, there is always room for voice over artists and thus we can say this career is steadily gaining popularity. And any individual who is interested in this fun-filled career can consider it as an option.
Related: Can AI Voices Replace Human Ones in the Voice-Over Industry?
Voice Over Artists Salary Statistics
This section contains salary statistics of a voice-over artists working in different major countries.
|Country||Average Salary (Yearly)|
A voice over artist working in the US can expect to make a round $101,453 a year.
In Canada, a voice over artist can make an average annual salary of CA$69,875.
Working as a voice-over artist in England can help you make around £37,009 per hour.
In India, voice-over artists can make an average annual salary of ₹1,031,448.
The average annual salary of a voice over artist working in Australia according to Indeed.com is $98,058.
- Please note that mentioned salary stats are as of 27th June, 2022.