- Who is an Automation Engineer?
- Key Job Responsibilities of Automation Engineer
- Required Qualification/Education
- What makes you qualified for this job?
- Top Companies/Organizations Hiring Automation Engineer
- Automation Engineer Salary Statistics
Who is an Automation Engineer?
An automation engineer is mainly considered to be a professional, whose main job is to improve the overall efficiency of different manufacturing and computer systems. He mainly does that by automating a few parts of the systems and making them capable enough to work on their own. Automation engineers are the ones who have to plan and even change the existing technology and the main purpose behind that is to lessen the need for human interaction. These individuals have to monitor the performance of all the changes they make. Similarly, an automation engineer sometimes designs an entirely new technology for the sake of automating a system. He can be a traditional engineer who works with physical machines or can also act as a software engineer who works with programming languages.
This article is all about understanding the key responsibilities of an automation engineer and other things about this job title.
Key Responsibilities of an Automation Engineer
Below you can find a detailed list of the responsibilities of an automation engineer, but these duties vary from engineer to engineer and company to company. Let’s check out the general responsibilities that remain the same.
- Work with the engineering team to develop the systems of automation.
- Conduct meetings to figure out how they’ll automate a system and control the process after automation.
- Lead the implementation of changes or new technology.
- Oversee the quality assurance process.
- Communicate with clients, find out their requirements, and make sure they are being taken care of.
- Research but design the automation technology.
- Create a connection between information inputs, controllers, and outputs.
- Identify opportunities for automation within the software processes.
- Design and execute QA tests using scripts that can test the functionality automatically.
- Handle defects and errors that may occur in technology.
- Identify quality issues in development, service, or business processes.
- Install applications and databases relevant to automation.
- Improve efficiency for human workers or other systems.
- Collaborate with business units with a clear mind on how automation can improve workflow.
- Gather all the information required to develop the best automation solutions.
If you are interested in becoming an automation engineer then the minimum degree you’ll need is;
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science. You can also go for computer engineer or any similar field.
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field will give you an edge.
- With that, you can look for programs that include courses on robotics, statistics, Artificial Neural Networks (ANN), control systems, and databases.
- HeadSpin University via LinkedIn Learning
- 13,483+ already enrolled!
- ★★★★★ (177 Ratings)
- University of Minnesota via Coursera
- 8,771+ already enrolled!
- ★★★★☆ (50 Ratings)
- Andrii Piatakha via Udemy
- 3,001+ already enrolled!
- ★★★★☆ (88 Ratings)
What makes you qualified for this job?
To become the best or perform in the best possible manner, you need to develop some skills, and below we have listed both hard and soft skills for you to consider.
- A deep understanding of automation and robotics is required.
- You should have a good understanding of artificial intelligence and machine learning.
- Similarly, programming and coding experience is also required.
- You should have know-how of terms like Agile, Cloud, and DevOps.
- Strong IT skills and technical experience are required.
- You should have data management skills.
- Project management skills are required as you may have to work with teams and handle different projects simultaneously.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills are important to possess.
- Similarly, interpersonal skills are also considered in the category of soft skills.
- Excellent teamwork skills are important to possess as you can never work on your own always and have to team together with other employees to do a specific job.
- Excellent communication skills are important that is, you should have the ability to communicate your ideas and thoughts to others in the most effective manner.
- Know-how of computers is important.
Below we have listed some of the available certifications for you to consider;
Top Companies/Organizations Hiring Automation Engineer
Did you know companies have started to automate business, IT, and development processes and they are always in need of automation engineers who can help them develop, test, and implement automation technology?
Top companies like Yokogawa Electric, Schneider Electric, ABB, Mitsubishi Electric, Siemens, Honeywell, Cognizant technology solutions, Tata Consultancy Services, and many others are always in need of an automation engineer thereby increasing your chances of getting a good job.
Automation engineers can design, program, simulate, and even test automated machinery and processes. And they can usually work in industries like the energy sector in plants, food processing plants and robots, car manufacturing facilities, and more.
Automation Engineer Salary Statistics
This section contains salary statistics of an automation engineer working in different major countries.
|Country||Average Salary (Yearly)|
Working as an automation engineer can help you make an average annual salary of $98,439.
In Canada, the average annual salary of an automation engineer is around CA$90,094.
An automation engineer working in the United Kingdom can make an average annual salary of £47,832.
The average annual salary of an automation engineer in India is around ₹700,000.
The average annual salary of an automation engineer working in Australia is around A$101,000.
- Please note that mentioned salary stats are as of 22nd November, 2022.