Learn about the origins and development of Western societies and institutions from the ancient world through the Middle Ages in this credit-eligible course.
- 8 weeks long
- 18 hours per week
- Learn for FREE, Up-gradable
- Taught by: Ian Frederick Moulton, Faculty Head of Interdisciplinary Humanities and Communication
- View Course Syllabus
Online Course Details:
This course is part of Global Freshman Academy (GFA), which means you can earn transferable ASU credit toward your college degree.
This course will provide a general outline of European history from Ancient times through 1500 AD, covering a variety of European historical periods and cultures, including Greek, Roman, Byzantine, Celtic, Frankish and others.
This course satisfies the Social-Behavioral Sciences (SB) and Historical Awareness (H) general studies requirements at Arizona State University. This course may satisfy a general education requirement at other institutions; however, it is strongly encouraged that you consult with your institution of choice to determine how these credits will be applied to their degree requirements prior to transferring the credit.
“I loved this class and was sorry when it ended. I learned a lot and loved the lectures and instructors. The course was well organized, easy to follow, and staff responded promptly to questions (within a day, it seemed to me.) I took the remote proctored exams, and everything was easy to follow and worked well.” -Renee Swenson
“I am totally impressed. They provide a wealth of interesting information in a concise clear format. They have a good mix of lectures and readings that nicely covers the general early history of Western Civilization. This is an excellent MOOC well worth the time.” -Paul Hundal
What you’ll learn:
- Think critically about the development of people politically, socially, and economically
- Evaluate evolution of political systems and their contribution to western society
- Understand the changing social role of religion in European society
- Explore the changing relations between Ancient and Medieval Europe and the world beyond