Our lives depend on online services. Gain essential cyber security knowledge and skills, to help protect your digital life. The course does not assume any prior knowledge of computer security and can be enjoyed by anyone interested in improving the security of their digital information.
University Online Course Details:
Guided by Cory Doctorow, you will learn how to recognise threats that could harm you online and take steps to reduce the chances that they happen to you.
The course will frame your online safety in the context of the wider world, introducing concepts like malware, viruses, trojans, network security, cryptography, identity theft and risk management.
The course was supported by the UK Government’s National Cyber Security Programme, is GCHQ Certified Training and IISP accredited.
- Threat landscape: terminology, cyber security threats, keeping up to date
- Authentication: access control, passwords, two-factor authentication
- Malware: types of malware, attack vectors, preventing infection
- Networking and communications: fundamentals, security challenges, standards
- Cryptography: symmetric and asymmetric cryptography, applications
- Network security: firewalls, virtual private networks, intrusion detection / prevention
- When your defences fail: cyber security laws, recovering from attacks
- Managing security risks: risk analysis and management