- 15 weeks long
- 5-10 hours per week
- Learn for FREE, Ugpradable
- Taught by: Jeffrey Hu, Richard W. Vuduc, Joel Sokol, Beverly Wright, Sridhar Narasimhan, Charles Turnitsa
- View Course Syllabus
Online Course Details:
Gain an interdisciplinary understanding of the essential fundamentals of analytics, including analysis methods, analytical tools, such as R, Python and SQL, and business applications.
Using common analytics software and tools, statistical and machine learning methods, and data-intensive computing and visualization techniques, learners will gain the experience necessary to integrate all of these parts for maximum impact.
Project experience is also included as part of the MicroMasters program. Through these projects, learners will hone their skills with data collection, storage, analysis, and visualization tools, as well as gain instincts for how and when each tool should be used.
These projects provide hands-on experience with real-world business applications of analytics and a deeper understanding of how to apply analytics skills to make the biggest difference.
- Projected shortage of 140,000-190,000 people with deep analytical skills and 1.5 million analytics-trained managers by 2018 (source: McKinsey Global Institute 2011)
- Increase of 4.4 million analytics jobs from 2013 to 2015, with a third unfilled due to lack of trained applicants (source: Gartner Inc. 2013)
- 97% of companies with revenues over $100 million use analytics (source: Bloomberg Business Week), but 42% of employers believe their employees don’t have the necessary analytics skills (source: Deloitte 2013)
- Career prospects for people with similar training include data scientist, data analyst, statistician, business analyst, consultant, research analyst, operations research analyst, analytics manager, modeling engineer (source: INFORMS Career Center)
What You’ll Learn:
- Use essential analytics tools like R, Python, SQL, and more.
- Understand fundamental models and methods of analytics, and how and when to apply them.
- Learn to build a data analysis pipeline, from collection and storage through analysis and interactive visualization.
- Apply your new analytics skills in a business context to maximize your impact.